[Air-l] You Got Mail (before Internet)

Frank Thomas frank.thomasftr at free.fr
Thu Nov 14 02:13:55 PST 2002

Naomi and all,

I wrote my Ph.D. about the long-term evolution of the telephone system
in Germany and work about ICTs usage. It strikes me when people argue as
if live started with the Internet, or to take another popular theme, the
Internet creates a global village. Technically speaking I can send an
email to Tibet or Shangri-La now. However, technically speaking this was
possible since shortwave radiotelephony in the 1920s, and the more
populated world is reachable  in a reasonable time by telegrams and
postal letters since, at least, the late 19th century.
printed matter, Kassel (central Germany) - Berkeley, late 19th century:
took 2 weeks.
how much faster today ?? Amazon delivers more slowly

This says nothing about the fact that social, commercial, political, or
military demand maybe don't exist to use ll these wonderful potential.
Communication technology is socially constructed around physical laws in
material artefacts and social conditions of use as well as usage routines.

After such a long intro, I come to my point:
the majority of telegrams in the 19th century were inner-urban, at least
in Germany,
the majority of telephone calls during the first century were within 80
kms, i.e. within the agglomeration the caller lived
today in Europe, 60% of private emails are within 50km from the sender,
very close to the distance distribution for postal letters (Smoreda &
Thomas),
today in Canada, the distance gradient for emails originating in Toronto
is very similar (see Wellman in Science).

There is one major difference between my historic telephone and today's
email distance gradients: the first concerned more or less business, the
latter private communications.

In both cases however, the data show that, theoretically, the Internet
might become more attractive as so many Chinese now have access to the
web but as so few of them live in my vicinity, speak my language, and
above all, belong to my social cercle of family, friends, acquaintances,
and colleagues.

I think we need more research about social life before and after the
arrival of the Internet before pretending that the Internet changed life
so enormeously (for those who are connected). I am always surprised to
see that among the social network Internet researcher community so few
cite the empirical urban socology studies of the 1960s and 1970s that
piled tables and tables of stats about (social) connectedness and
compare them with today to see if things have really changed in private
life.

Regards,

Frank