[Air-l] orality and textuality

Irene Berkowitz berkowitz at mail.temple.edu
Thu Nov 14 13:35:14 PST 2002

Hi Frank,

You may also want to look at:

 Author         Standage, Tom.
 Title
                     The Victorian Internet : the remarkable story of the telegraph and the nineteenth
                     century's on-line pioneers / Tom Standage.
 Imprint
                     New York : Walker and Co., 1998.

A very quick and informative read.  It only deals with snail mail tangentially, but certainly looks at what happened  between postal mail and the telegraph and the change in communication patterns and draws comparisons with the internet.

IB

>>> frank.thomasftr at free.fr 11/14/2002 3:54:21 PM >>>
Hi,

I start to think about the fact that ICTs are well embedded in our
cultures of text and voice communications. SMS, for instance, is a very
interesting sort of written speech. To understand email communication we
have first to better understand postal letter exchanges. I am no
cultural anthropologist so I have no immediate knowledge of that area of
research.

Would someone on the list be so kind to point me to a good start for
reading, for books, articles, online texts, market research, I dont know
what ...

Thank you

Frank

Frank Thomas