[Air-l] Re: overcharging internet

Adrian Miles adrian.miles at uib.no
Sat Oct 19 01:48:52 PDT 2002

At 12:01 -0400 18/10/02, air-l-request at aoir.org wrote:
>So lesson is clear files from browsers and force a cold boot from
>public/commercial terminals when you are finished using.

sorry. the lesson is to realise that the rest of the world subsidises
US access costs to the internet (due to inequities in how costs are
charged via the ITU), and that when you are a guest in another
country you are a guest in another country. my experience of the
dutch during AoIR was of overwhelming politeness, interest, curiosity
and courtesy (it is the only country i have visited so far where
nearly every commercial (restaurant. hotel, taxi) conversation began
with "where have you come from?" and they really wanted to know.

cheers
adrian miles
--

+  lecturer in new media and cinema studies
[http://hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/vlog]