[Air-l] Distributed Research labs - any examples/links ?

Charlie Hendricksen veritas at u.washington.edu
Mon Oct 21 09:59:34 PDT 2002

Professor Lund,

    My doctoral dissertation, "The Research Web: Asynchronous
Collaboration in Social Scientific Research" studied four research
groups collaborating in research using the WWW as the medium of
collaboration.  Only one of the four could be considered a success,
but of course doctoral candidates do not have the resources to direct
large-scale research programs.  Failure was always due to social
reasons, never technological.  The principles of the Research Web seem
sound, after all they were the basis of a doctoral dissertation.

    In the Research Web the emphasis on interaction is asynchronous,
because the research team is assumed to be distributed in space and
thus time zones.  The dialog of the group is document-centered and is
mediated by a tool that allows annotation of every document.  The
annotations are directed to small segments of the document, typically
paragraphs and list elements.  All the tools are WWW-based so the user
needs only e-mail and a browser to be fully equipped.  The Research
Web should have a facilitator to remove the technical minutiae from
the research team -- There should be no requirement for the researcher
to become distracted by irrelevant.

    Research Webs are focused on collaboration, not technology.  All
design is directed toward the facilitation of collaboration rather
than the building of vast programs that amaze all users with the
virtuosity of the programmers.  The scope of each Research Web is
defined by its "issue domain," a research topic that is large enough
to attract interest from several investigators, yet small enough so
every subtonic is interdependent.  So each Research Web is home to a
single team rather than a collaboratory open to everyone.

    Should you care to see the dissertation, go to
http://students.washington.edu/veritas/diss/diss.html , for the
abstract see http://students.washington.edu/veritas/diss/diss.html .
I am of course available for further dialog!