[Air-l] October 2002 AoIR Executive Committee Report (of a kind)

Steve Jones sjones at uic.edu
Thu Oct 24 16:50:03 PDT 2002

October 24, 2002
Report of the a(o).i.r. executive committee
Prepared by Steve Jones

AoIR Executive Committee
President: Steve Jones
Vice-President: Nancy Baym
Secretary: Ulla Bunz
Treasurer: Benjamin Bates
Open Seats: David Silver and Barry Wellman
Appointed Seats: Matthew Allen and Leslie Shade
Student Seat: Lisbeth Klastrup
Publications Officers: Jeremy Hunsinger and Charlie Breindahl
2002 Conference Chair: Monica Murero
2002 Conference Program Chair: Klaus Bruhn Jensen
2003 Conference Chair: Liss Jeffrey
2003 Conference Program Co-Chairs: Matthew Allen, David Mitchell
Ethics Working Group Chair: Charles Ess

1.  Introduction & General (Jones)

Ulla has already sent the minutes of the meetings that took place in
Maastricht and those serve in the place of the usual monthly reports
from the executive committee. I did, however, want to add a
post-Maastricht post-script.

There are many people to thank for the success of the conference in
Maastricht. I could create a list that would be longer than the
longest air-l daily digest: The Infonomics Institute and its
Director, Luc Soete, The Cal Company and the MECC (which I still
think stands for "Monica's Excellent Conference Center"), the members
of the program committee and our terrific program chair this year
Klaus Bruhn Jensen, the members of the executive committee, our
keynoters, Apple Computer, Sander Pomme, Herman Pijper, Sage
Publications for sponsoring a refreshment break...and on and on.

Nevertheless, the primary "mover and shaker" behind it was Monica
Murero and she deserves all of the thanks and credit in the world,
certainly far more than I can convey. It was through her hard work
and dedication that the stage was literally set for the several days
we were able to meet, talk, think, share, eat, in some cases dance,
and for many us rarely get some sleep. The conference was splendid,
and I'm sure I speak on behalf of the attendees, as well as many who
were unable to attend, in addition to myself, by saying that Monica
has earned her place in AoIR history.

Given this, she and the others of you, whether in Maastricht or not,
have assured AoIR a strong and vibrant future. Two years ago when we
met for the first time at the University of Kansas it was not
entirely certain that we would have another meeting. The good people
at the University of Minnesota ensured that we would, and I was more
than heartened by the turnout there, in the face of great unease
about travel - some of which continues to this day, and if not unease
about travel then unease about the prospect of war. I continue to be
grateful that so many are willing to spend time away from family and
other loved ones to be with colleagues and friends for some days.
Spending time with one another is a gift I suspect we do not think
about as much as we may have before we had the Internet and
widespread use of email, but it is cherished.

It is my hope that many of you will again spend some time together,
with me, in Toronto, October 16 - 19, 2003. There is a productive and
spirited discussion on air-meet already going on concerning planning
for the conference, and I encourage you to join in if you would like
(http://www.aoir.org/mailman/listinfo/air-meet). Liss Jeffrey, David
Mitchell and Matthew Allen are already leading us toward another
excellent gathering in a year's time. We will need reviewers for
conference paper, panel, workshop, etc., proposals - I cannot stress
enough how much we will need your help for that!

And I encourage you to consider hosting a future conference, so I
will be re-posting our Call for Hosts in a moment. It is, of course,
a lot of work to host a conference, but with each one we are better
able to plan and anticipate the needs. Given our rapid growth we need
to be planning still further ahead, and I will look forward to our
2004, 2005 and beyond meetings,too, with great anticipation.

It is on such a note of encouragement that I will end this report.
AoIR has grown phenomenally, and to make it an association that you
like, you need to be involved in it. If you like something about it,
please work with us to make it more to your liking. If you don't like
something about it, work to change it. Whatever you do, do not walk
away from it - neither we, nor you, I venture, can possibly gain that
way. We have a diverse group of members, and we could diversify still
further, but diversification, like anything else, will not happen if
we look for someone else to do it for us. Tell people you think might
be interested in AoIR about us. Join in on air-meet or on a working
group. Propose a working group to start a new initiative. Propose
panels, papers. Post to air-l. This association sprang from the
desire of a few people to do something and from the follow-up actions
they took, and it can continue only if others act on their interests
and desires. Get in touch with me or with other members of the
executive committee at your pleasure and let us know your thoughts
and interests, and your interest to volunteer.

------------------------------------end of executive committee

The Association of Internet Researchers is a scholarly association
dedicated to the advancement of the cross-disciplinary field of
Internet studies. It is a resource and support network promoting
critical and scholarly Internet research independent from traditional
disciplines and existing across academic borders. The association is
international in scope.

The association's web site is at http://www.aoir.org. Membership
information is available at http://aoir.org/airjoin.html