[Air-l] archiving websites for later analysis

Frank Schaap architext at fragment.nl
Thu Oct 3 02:55:53 PDT 2002

Robin helpfully contributed:
> Not so deep in IE5:

> Add the page to Favorites.
> Open Organize Favorites.
> Select the page you wish to archive.
> Check "Make available offline"
> Open Properties -> Download, and make your choices: links deep, limit
> space, even -> Advanced: images, etc. In Properties -> Schedule you may,
> well of course, schedule.

Ehm, this doesn't do what I want it to do... Yes, you can set it to archive
up to 3 links deep, but there's no option of containing that link depth to
the domain the site is residing on, so IE will actually archive ALL pages 3
links deep regardless of the server they're residing on.

(Right now IE has been working for about 30 minutes, archiving only 1
homepage because it goes out all over the web, including to the
microsoft.com site to download pages linked from that site...)

Okay, maybe I wasn't all that clear on how I want to archive the sites. I
actually want to archive homepages, starting with their 'entry' or 'index'
page and _all_ underlying pages and directories that are an integral part of
that homepage. That means I _don't_ want to archive external links to other
domains/servers.

(ah, IE is finished now... but, instead of saving those websites in any sort
of recognizable form, it dumps everything in the IE cache with
unrecognizable names, so in order to actually view the archived sites, you
will _have_ to use IE.)

Thanks for the help/tips anyway, but it seems to rule out IE for my
purposes.

Frank.
--
Fragments Blog:         http://fragment.nl/