[Air-l] Video Game Addiction

Rhiannon Bury rbury at oise.utoronto.ca
Sat Oct 19 15:50:25 PDT 2002

I think we should be suspicious of terms like "video addiction";
addictions are primarily physiological, not psychological and there is not
a shred of evidence that playing video games alters brain chemistry in any
way. I would say that this story is part of the latest media "moral panic"
to divert attention from deep rooted social and individual problems.
Nobody takes his/her own life because of a video game. It's rather like
suggesting the boys at Columbine killed their classmates, teachers and
themselves because they watched The Matrix and listened to Marilyn Manson.

Rhiannon

Rhiannon Bury
Assistant Professor
Wilfrid Laurier University