[Air-l] the day after (long)

Denise N. Rall denrall at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 21 06:34:14 PDT 2002

Dear AIR'ers -

I have to say AoIR 3.0 was the best thing ever, and no
one took offense at my newbie enthusiam at any of the
sessions I attended.

I am now here at the Brookes Institute Oxford Media
Workshop meeting some excellent folk who want to join
the meeting in Toronto next year. Wednesday I'm on to
link up again with Director William Dutton for a
seminar by Juliet Webster at the Oxford Internet
Institute. Then across the ocean to the the 4S meeting
in Milwaukee and to research the Internet Studies
Center at UMN-Minneapolis-St. Paul. (thanks to my
family for the plane ticket!)

Here's my comments on 3.0 - I most appreciated the
cross-disciplinary richness of the presenters since
each presenter gave a clear picture of their
methodological assumptions - here's an idea - assuming
that others know 'nothing' of one's methods in such an
interdisciplinary conference may actually be a useful
approach!!!

While I can't single out a favorite presentation, the
panel of the NIWI group and especially Andrea
Scharnhost (sp)'s work on complex networks I found
stimulating, as I did the 'scenario' analysis
techniques of Erica Pearson at Curtin Uni, Australia.
I missed Charlie Breindahl's presentation, but the
'buzz' afterwards in the lobby said he was 'spot on.'

I also appreciated Marge Kibby's presence and others
for reminding me of research techniques that the
feminists have used for years to elaborate on issues
of gender and culture.

The STS panel was overstimulating in the extreme, with
Momberg, Wouters, Hamm and Kling proving to me once
again that I have read little, understand less, and
know nothing. Thanks for that!

The excellent "future Directions" panel indicated that
my PhD research topic is a good one (now to analyze
the research and write it up!). Bar room chats with
Jay Bresan, Jeremy Hunsinger & Charlie Breindahl,
Matthew Allen, Monica Murero, Nancy Baym, and
(probably a monologue on my part) with President Steve
Jones will definitely be cherished memories coloured
by the opaque density of smoke and alcohol fumes.

Interviews with the unnamed for research privacy
issues were MUCH appeciated and breakfast, unexpected
at the Bastion Hotel with Adrian Miles and Liz
Klaustup (sp) was a bonus as well as chats with many,
many, many others. I was sorry to miss out on a chat
with Irene Berkowitz, best student paper at show. Go
Irene!

I'd better stop now, having greatly overstayed your
patience, but my conclusion is brief:

Consider yourself forewarned => Toronto is NOT to be
MISSED!!!

Denise

My dinner companions, Michele Willson, Dan Burke, John
Logie, and the odd moment with Matt Ratto and many
others made for a smashing evening.

In short,

=====
"it's easier to use your mouse than your brain"
Denise Rall, Sustainable Forestry Mentoring Coordinator &
PhD student, School of Education, Southern Cross University,
PO Box 157, Lismore, NSW, 2480 Australia
Phone +61-2-6624-8627 Fax +61-2-6624-8637
Office (Tuesdays) (02) 6620 3577 Mob 0438 233 344
http://www.scu.edu.au/schools/edu/research/deniserall/index.html