[Air-l] voice recognition & dictation programs

robert robert.luke at utoronto.ca
Thu Oct 10 13:34:11 PDT 2002

Frank - below is an answer to your query, care of Laurie McArthur of the
Adaptive Technology Resource Centre at the University of Toronto.  I sent
your request to her, and this is what she said (she is an expert in this
area):

Re: the voice rec inquiry.

The two main commercial voice rec programs remain Dragon Naturally Speaking

by Scansoft and IBM's Via Voice. Both programs have large dictionaries, and

are capable of adding words that are not contained in the existing
dictionary.

Both products have a version of there software available in French, but it
is a separate program and I believe may not have all the features of the
latest versions of these programs in English.

Typically we recommend a minimum of 128 MB of RAM. The specific product
recommendations may lead him to believe that the software should run with
100 mb - but how well it will run is the true test. If installed on
anything
less the comuters processing slows incredibly.  When the system resources
are taxed, the net result is a significant delay in the recognition and
processing of the text being spoken. Having to wait for the system to catch

up interrupts the individuals' thought process. He would also only be able
to use the dictation and navigation features available in the basic word
processor that comes with the software since adding the processing demands
of dictating into MS Word would likely crash his system.

Specific product links are:
http://www.scansoft.com/naturallyspeaking/international/
http://www-3.ibm.com/software/speech/desktop/lang-chart.html and
http://www-3.ibm.com/software/speech/desktop/w10.html