[Air-l] Distributed Research labs - any examples/links ?

Irene Berkowitz berkowitz at mail.temple.edu
Mon Oct 21 06:35:09 PDT 2002

I believe Vanderbilt University has a media lab like this and I am not sure if they are the archivist, but someone on this list should know where all of the legislation and documents regarding tobacco products  in the US are housed.  This is a massive project in need of researchers to sort it out and I know that work is being actively funded.  I am sorry that I don't know the specifics.  You might try contacting Priscilla Murphy at Temple University in Philadelphia.  I believe her email address is: murphyp at astro.temple.edu .  There is also access to several social science libraries online, I believe.  The largest is at the University of Michigan and the second largest at Temple.  I hope this is the type of information you are looking for.  Good luck and I would be interested in your results.

Irene Berkowitz
DARS Coordinator
Office of the Vice Provost
Temple University
tel. 215-204-7596  fax. 215-204 3175
berkowitz at mail.temple.edu

>>> niels.windfeld.lund at hum.uit.no 10/21/2002 4:53:42 AM >>>
Hello

At our department of Documentation Studies at the University of
Tromsoe (the northernmost university in the world) we are working
with the idea of making a distributed research lab, called The
Document Academy, by linking a number of groups/departments/people
from different places together with the aim of working together on
document analysis, document development. It should not only be a
place for presentation of research, but a place where the actual
research work take place, sharing documents, editing documents etc.
It should also include all kind of media/means like writing, images,
video and sound.
We are planning this together with people at our local center for
tele medicine around the case of electronic patient record and people
at SIMS/UC-Berkeley.

I have heard of examples of that kind of distributed labs from coast
to coast in US, but there might be a lot of cases which we do not
know, so do any of you have any experience of that kind of work or do
you know any working examples of this kind ?

thanks

Niels Windfeld Lund
--
Niels Windfeld Lund, professor, Instituttleder / Head of Department
Institutt for dokumentasjonsvitenskap / Department of Documentation Science

http://thedocumentacademy.hum.uit.no