[Air-l] Video Game Addiction

Florence Chee fchee at sfu.ca
Fri Oct 25 18:05:48 PDT 2002

Coincidentally, my honours thesis in the works is on this very topic of
video game addiction.  My emphasis is on the term addiction as potentially
problematic in the way we describe ways that people could possibly using to
form community.  This is exemplified by the popularity of games like
Everquest and other MMORPGS that have a large community component. In short,
my hypothesis is that the community aspect, whether we realize it or not, is
largely the drawing factor for many things we consider 'addiction.'

Florence Chee
School of Communication
Simon Fraser University