[Air-l] privacy and surveillance

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Tue Oct 29 18:41:35 PST 2002

I've been doing some side studies (with Steve Mann and Jason Nolan; and
with Tom Gray, Ramiro Liscano and Anabel Quan-Haase) on just how much
surveillance people will accept. Or to put it in another perspective,
how much privacy they want -- and under what circumstances -- in
public, in organizations they work for, at home, on the Internet
(e.g., cookies) (See the Mann-Nolan-Wellman Sousveillance paper on my
website for some informative experimental "performances" on the subject.)

I would greatly appreciate pointers to any quantitative or qualitative
data on the subject.

For example:

People being observed on video/CCTV in stores and in streets.

Active badges reporting where people are in an organization's building

Group-aware software (such as Babble and IKNOW) that inform about who is
connected with whom, and who is interacting with whom

Buddy lists in IM that are shareable, so I know that Tom is also friends
with Dick and Jane.

 Barry

  wellman at chass.utoronto.ca   http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman