[Air-l] De Unit internet cafe on leliestraat

Philip N Howard pnhoward at u.washington.edu
Wed Oct 16 06:16:54 PDT 2002

Dear AIR:  fastest internet connection so far in Maastricht is De Unit Cafe middle of street Leliestraat between Vrijthof Square and River but very close to Vrijthof Square.

While I was here a (North) American gent refused to pay for his time, thinking he was being overcharged.  He caused a big scene, slapped down what he thought he owed, and ran out before the owner could get to the store.  The owner quickly went to the computer, confirmed the time online, and dug out the gent's email address.  The owner is thinking of having a camera installed in the store so customers can be watched, and promised me the guy would be 'spammed' to oblivion.  So lesson is clear files from browsers and force a cold boot from public/commercial terminals when you are finished using.  Those of us who attended the surveillance panels can draw out other lessons.  Those of us interested in interculutral communication would have loved the interaction.  For everyone else, avoid arguments with the Dutch.  I doubt the camera will be installed before AIR moves on.
p.