[Air-l] Undergraduate HTML text

Danny Butt db at dannybutt.net
Sat Oct 26 14:58:14 PDT 2002

Hi,

I've got a set of class notes for an introductory Internet Design class up
on my site at:

=> http://www.dannybutt.net/teaching.html
(Scroll down for the zip file)

The notes above are more from a design perspective, and are 18 months old.
They  precede an Advanced course that covers CSS, Javascript, etc.. Weiman's
book is OK, but not straightforward and contains conflicting advice. I would
probably recommend Elizabeth Castro's book which I've seen used with great
success:

=> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0321130073

IMHO it's important to think about whether your students are primarily
coming from a writing background, a technical background, or a visual design
background. I would caution against a general approach where students
attempt to resolve ambitious projects incorporating content, design, and
coding. If your students will go into professional environments in 2003 it's
highly unlikely that they will be coding individual pages from scratch, as
sites are increasingly produced through Content Management Systems (of which
weblogs are a variety), where the technical and visual aspects of the site
are set via prebuilt templates and functionality.