[Air-l] Video Game addiction

Gochenouer, John Gochenouer at southwest.msus.edu
Mon Oct 21 17:39:12 PDT 2002

From: Gochenouer, John
Sent: Monday, October 21, 2002 11:42 AM
To: 'air-l at aoir.org'
Subject: Video Game addiction

Maybe this pegs me as an old codger, but in 1985 my phd dissertation
revealed that some managers were spending too much time on the computer and
ignoring their employees. The impact was that they received fewer raises and
fewer promotions than a matching cohort.  I coined the term "video game
effect"; in essence they had an escape mechanism or computer addiction that
drew them from their true responsibilities.  It is probably even more of a
problem today since so many companies have policies on personal email and
internet surfing. I would love to see a phd student attempt a modern
corroboration of my old study.

John Gochenouer
Southwest State University
1501 State St.