[Air-l] Re: chatrooms/ Air-l digest, Vol 1 #491

Nina Wakeford N.Wakeford at soc.surrey.ac.uk
Wed Sep 11 09:28:57 PDT 2002

Does anyone use IRC for student classroom exercises - eg practicals
of virtual participant observation? If so, I'd be interested in what
kinds of exercises you set students.

At MSc level, this is an example of a current exercise which I set,
but I'm wondering whether to be more explicit about use of particular
clients, sites etc.

(1) Select a topic of sociological interest and investigate the UK
online resources about this topic (You can refer back to Hine's study
for an example). This might include web pages, email discussion
lists, chat spaces, usenet newsgroups, etc. Outline how you might
collect data and analyse this topic using ONE of the online sources
which you have found (ie either a chat space OR a discussion list OR
a set of web pages).
Bear in mind the following potentially significant issues:
a. The sources of the data (eg who hosts the site, or organises the
mailing list) and the effect on the kind of data which can be
collected
b. Ethical problems in data collection or analysis
c. How your study compares to the studies in the assigned reading list
d. Any methodological issues which arise which are specific to your topic\

(The 'Hine' book is Christine Hine's excellent book 'Virtual Ethnography')

In general, students seemed to enjoy the exercise, although some
found it hard to limit themselves to UK resources on more marginal
topics.

Nina Wakeford
INCITE, University of Surrey
www.soc.surrey.ac.uk/incite