[Air-l] Research on Avatar

Han Lee hlee37 at uic.edu
Mon Sep 16 21:29:04 PDT 2002

Dear a.(o).i.r.,

Hi, I am a first-year graduate student (with very little research experience)
interested in doing a research on how avatar as a visual manifestation of
one's identity gets users engage in communication in comparison to the solely
text-based embodiment on the Internet. Do you know any previous research
related to this topic that you would like to recommend? I have found the
following resources so far:

- Kolko, B. (1999). Representing bodies in virtual space: The rhetoric of
avatar design.  The Information Society, 15, 177-186.

- O'Donnell, J. J. (1998). Avatars of the word: From papyrus to cyberspace.
Cambridge: Harvard Press.

- Webb, S. (2001). Avatar culture: Narrative, power and identity in virtual
world environments. Information, Communication & Society, 4, 560-594.

And I am hoping to get richer sources for my literature review. I would
appreciate any help. Thank you in advance.

Best wishes,

Han

 Han Lee
 Communication