[Air-l] archiving websites for later analysis

Frank Schaap architext at fragment.nl
Thu Sep 26 05:44:13 PDT 2002

I know this has been discussed here before, but I can't seem to find that
discussion anymore.

I'm analysing a relatively limited number of homepages and I'm looking for a
way to archive them to be able to later go back to the state I found them in
for analysis purposes.

Using the "save as" function of for instance IE isn't sufficient. Since
personal homepages aren't all that big usually, I want to archive the whole
site including underlying pages.

I have found WebCopier <http://www.maximumsoft.com/> and that seems to work
quite okay, but it still has some issues, for instance with iframes. It also
converts the directory structure of the site and sometimes it's important to
see how someone structures their site.

So, in other words, does anyone have any other recommendations? Dept. and IT
policies make that I'm looking for something that I can run locally on my
own machine...

TIA

Frank.
--