[Air-l] Advice Requested re: CoP

Nancy White nancyw at fullcirc.com
Tue Sep 17 16:04:28 PDT 2002

>From:   Mark Tempestilli [SMTP:tempesti at usna.edu]
>I am in search of advice on finding and hiring people to
>manage/lead/facilitate an on-line
>community of practice.... <snip>... am now looking for those directly
>attached to the issue that can provide first hand advice and brief
>discussion.  Can anyone
>provide advice, primarily in the skills and qualifications needed by a CoP
>manager/leader/facilitator of this nature, or point me at good reference
>people regarding this?

I'd point you to a few resources:

Etienne Wenger and John Smith's online course on CoPs
http://www.cpsquare.com/edu/foundations/index.htm

My online course on online facilitation
http://www.fullcirc.com/ws/onfaccourse.htm

Onlinefacilitation  http://www.fullcirc.com/ws/onfaccourse.htm lists on
yahoogroups

http://www.fullcirc.com/community/communitymanual.htm

Wenger, Snyder, McDermot's new book, Cultivating Communities of Practice

I have more links, but this is probably a good start. Holler if you want
more! This is certainly an emerging field. You may also want to see if you
can get access to the DoD online CoP on CoPs as there are a number of
facilitators of distributed CoPs in that group.

Nancy

Nancy White
Full Circle Associates - http://www.fullcirc.com - 206-517-4754