[Air-l] it's that time again "spring cleaning"

jeremy jhuns at vt.edu
Tue Apr 1 06:48:22 PST 2003

It's that time again! As many of you know, each year the Internet must
be shut down for a few hours in order to allow us to clean it. The
cleaning process, which eliminates dead email and inactive ftp, www and
gopher sites, allows for a better-working and faster Internet.

DO NOT CONNECT TO THE INTERNET FROM April 1st 12:01pm (GMT) UNTIL
12:01am (GMT) APRIL 2nd.

This year, the cleaning process will take place from 12:01 pm (GMT) on
April 1st until 00:01 am (GMT) on April 2nd. During that 24-hour period,
five powerful Internet-crawling robots situated around the world will
search the Internet and delete any data that they find.

In order to protect your valuable data from deletion we ask that you do
the following:

   1. Disconnect all terminals and local area networks from their
      Internet connections.
   2. Shut down all Internet servers, or disconnect them from the Internet.
   3. Disconnect all disks and hardrives from any connections to the
      Internet.
   4. Refrain from connecting any computer to the Internet in any way.

<mailto:sysop at internic.org>-----

Every year since 1997, we've cleaned it up this day of all days.

have a nice, good-humored April Fool's day,