[Air-l] conference publication requirements

Jonathan Sterne jsterne+ at pitt.edu
Tue Apr 29 07:40:22 PDT 2003

Hi All,

I know this is going to sound like I'm being a troublemaker, so please
accept my apologies in advance.  I know that the conference organizers work
hard, and do their best to advance the organization's and members' best
interests and I appreciate all their labor so I don't have to do it.

Here's the thing: I just got the forwarded version of the acceptance email
for a panel I'm on.  That's just dandy and I look forward to seeing
everyone.  The problem is the requirement that a full paper be turned over
to AoIR for publication on the conference site.  Here are my issues:

1.      As often as possible, I give talks, not written papers.  This isn't
because I'm doing stuff at the last minute or undertaking half-assed work
but rather because I find people fall asleep when they listen to written
language read aloud, and they understand a lecture/talk much more
clearly.  I have had great success with this approach in my young career
and intend to continue doing it.  I could scan in my notes and they could
be posted to the website, but really, what's the point?  About half the
time, I also actually present work-in-progress and want feedback (that's
why it's called a conference, right?) rather than immediate publication of
my ideas in their present form.

2.      I know this was covered once before onlist, but I don't remember
the resolution.  What are you supposed to do about the paper being
published in the conference proceedings if it's already promised to another
publication?  That is the case for me this time.  Doesn't the whole
conference proceedings thing cause trouble for those of us who present work
we plan to submit other places as "new" publications?  Maybe this is a
humanities/social sciences thing?  At least at Pitt, the soc sci people
seem to value presentations a little more highly than they do in my neck of
the woods.

Anyway, that's it.  Matthew?  Steve?  Someone?

Thanks.

Best,
--Jonathan