[Air-l] conference publication requirements

Matthew Allen M.Allen at exchange.curtin.edu.au
Tue Apr 29 17:17:25 PDT 2003

Hi All

I think Jonathan's email and Steve's reply have pretty much covered this
issue - thanks J. for raising it and Steve for replying.  However I want to
add one more thing, just to clarify.

Jonathan wrote "The problem is the requirement that a full paper be turned
over to AoIR for publication on the conference site."

My exact words (and I was careful about this) were that people are
"expected" to provide a full copy of the paper. This was a deliberate choice
of words - there is NO requirement (many other conferences do have such a
requirement - I had to withdraw from one in 2002 cos I simply couldn't get a
paper finished in time in written form), merely an expectation.  Though
*laugh* perhaps it sounded more like a legalistic version of the word
'expect'? - Anyway...just to re-assure you: no-one is required to give in
their paper; but, since having an archive of papers available to members is
very valuable, we do expect it.

Similarly, (and guided by those on the exec who know more about IP than I
do), I used the word 'archive'. This is, as far as I am concerned, not the
same as publication: however someone else might be able to give a more
precise ruling on the laws concerning copyright. Still, if you are in any
doubt, my recommendation would be to simply tell us which publication your
work will be going into and we will put those details into the archive.

I hope this has cleared it up :)

Cheers
Matt