[Air-l] Empirical Studies of Effects of IM on School Writing

Frank Thomas frank.thomasftr at free.fr
Mon Apr 7 23:54:16 PDT 2003

Naomi,
ask Rich ling at <richard-seyler.ling at telenor.com>. He did extensive
research on the use of text messaging with Norwegian pupils.

Concerning the use of mobile phones before the arrival of text messaging
I know from the Law and the Management faculties of Cologne University
that the fact of having a mobile with you during written exams meant
that you were invited to redo the exam the following term. I guess the
same will be true with text messages. When mobiles invaded class rooms
in Germany there was quite a public discussion on the issue and schools
established rules on when to allow to sent and to recive phone calls.
Again this will also hold for text messaging.
/Frank Thomas