[Air-l] Digital Technology and National Identity

Charles Ess cmess at lib.drury.edu
Mon Apr 21 12:49:47 PDT 2003

Thanks, Andrea!  Glad they were of some value -

Yes, by all means, more work along these lines is underway.

In addition to beginning plans for CATaC'04 (see the website put up by Fay
Sudweeks, URL below) in Karlstad, Sweden (which will hopefully continue to
expand and refine our understanding of these issues) - I'll be working over
my sabbatical this fall on specific cultural values/assumptions regarding
embodiment and its links to expectations regarding privacy - and thereby
possible links to national law and policy regarding data privacy.  I'll be
working in Scandinavia, with a view towards U.S.-European/Scandinavian
contrasts.

(Segue to general plea for help...)

Any suggestions for resources that approach these issues, especially from a
comparative perspective, would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers and all best wishes,

Charles Ess
Distinguished Research Professor, Interdisciplinary Studies
Drury University
900 N. Benton Ave.                          Voice: 417-873-7230
Springfield, MO  65802  USA            FAX: 417-873-7435
Home page:  http://www.drury.edu/ess/ess.html
Co-chair, CATaC: http://www.it.murdoch.edu.au/catac/

Exemplary persons seek harmony, not sameness. -- Analects 13.23