[Air-l] Re: Adult Gamers within the Family

Dmitri Williams dcwillia at umich.edu
Thu Apr 3 12:07:00 PST 2003

Sue-

This is part of my dissertation research, and I confirm that there
isn't much out there on this aspect of game play. Almost everything is
about children or teenagers, or the ubiquitous college sophomore
subject pool. But ditto Nancy's comments on Avatars Offline, and
Jason's on Digiplay as a good resource.

Try the IDSA web site (http://www.idsa.com/) for some facts and stats
on age and use in the US. I think their numbers are too high, but that
shouldn't surprise you from a trade group.

Pew Internet also has asked some game-related questions, and was kind
enough to recently give me this eye-opening data from a 2002 survey
(Keep in mind that this is probably anything from Bridge to Everquest):
Q. Ever play a game online
All users  37%
Men        37%
Women      38%
Whites     34%
Blacks     48%
Hispanics  54%
18-29      52%
30-49      34%
50-64      28%
65+        38%

I should have some family-based data on the game I'm studying
(Asheron's Call 2) in the next few weeks, and you're welcome to mail me
off-list.

Here's what else I have for cites:
Marriage & Family review, Vol 8 #1 & 2 are all on computers and
families, but is from 1985.
Sneed & Runco, 1992 (I think), Journal of Psychology V 120: The Beliefs
Adults and Children Hold About Television and Video Games

Let me know if you come across anything else good. I'd like to have
more information myself.

Cheers,

Dmitri
Dmitri Williams