[Air-l] the new media reader

noah wardrip-fruin noah at cat.nyu.edu
Wed Apr 9 05:53:45 PDT 2003

The MIT Press has recently published a book/CD that might be of
interest to AoIR folks. It's titled The New Media Reader, and Nick
Montfort and I are the editors. We've put up a site about the project
here:

http://www.newmediareader.com

The site makes available a number of works that not only haven't been
on the Web before, but also have been hard to find in print -
including the full text (with images) of "Personal Dynamic Media" by
Alan Kay and Adele Goldberg, significant excerpts from _Computer Lib
/ Dream Machines_ by Ted Nelson, selections from Brenda Laurel's
_Computers as Theater_ and her PhD dissertation, etc.

I'll paste more detailed information about the book/CD below.

Noah

The New Media Reader
edited by Noah Wardrip-Fruin and Nick Montfort
book design by Michael Crumpton
isbn: 0262232278

The new media field has been developing for more than 50 years. This
reader collects the texts, videos, and computer programs - many of
them now almost impossible to find - that chronicle the history and
form the foundation of this still-emerging field. General
introductions by Janet H. Murray (author of Hamlet on the Holodeck)
and Lev Manovich (author of The Language of New Media), along with
short introductions to each of the selections, place the works in
their historical context and explain their significance.

The texts are from computer scientists, artists, architects, literary
writers, interface designers, cultural critics, and individuals
working across disciplines. They were originally published between
World War II (when digital computing, cybernetic feedback, and early
notions of hypertext and the Internet first appeared) and the
emergence of the World Wide Web (when these concepts entered the
mainstream of public life).

The CD accompanying the book contains examples of early games,
digital art, independent literary efforts, software created at
universities, and home-computer commercial software. Also on the CD
is digitized video, documenting new media programs and artwork for
which no operational version exists.