[Air-l] e-mail destroying friendships?

Charles Ess cmess at lib.drury.edu
Sun Apr 20 20:26:17 PDT 2003

As usual,  Nancy's critical acumen is helpfully forcing me to sharpen my
admittedly vague and diffuse query.
Question: in ways analogous to how the decontextualized venues of CMC  seem
to allow for more aggressive forms of communication - and forms of
communication that are themselves decontextualized (e.g., the sharp reply
sent not simply to a friend who might know the author well - but also to a
range of strangers who have no experience with the author and hence have
less ability to interpret his/her meaning, tone, etc.) -
is it possible that such e-mail venues as I described might foster less
judicious rhetoric (e.g., language use, etc., that one would never use
face-to-face)  that is thus more likely to be destructive of relationships?

I really don't know!  My query was sparked by discussion today with friends,
in which two different examples of such destruction - severing of e-mail
connections as well as reduction of f-2-f engagements with one another -
were noted.  Again, two examples hardly a generalization make - but at least
help occasion a query?

Still curiously,

Charles Ess
Distinguished Research Professor, Interdisciplinary Studies
Drury University
900 N. Benton Ave.                          Voice: 417-873-7230
Springfield, MO  65802  USA            FAX: 417-873-7435
Home page:  http://www.drury.edu/ess/ess.html
Co-chair, CATaC: http://www.it.murdoch.edu.au/catac/

Exemplary persons seek harmony, not sameness. -- Analects 13.23