[Air-l] Encyclopedia of Community

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Thu Apr 3 12:14:09 PST 2003

Just to clarify Monica Murero's Encyclopedia posting:

It is the Encyclopedia of Communty, to be published by Sage this June. It
contains 49 articles about the internet (et al) and community, including a
very nice one in which Monica is the lead author. I edited all of them

(And a pox on the 2 readers of this list who defaulted on their articles
at the very end, putting tremendous stress on me and the 2 wonderful
people who jumped in as replacement authors -- they're also readers of
this list.)

Howevever, the 49 articles are only 1/8 of the entire Encyclopedia. It's
in 4 volumes. It also has 650 leads to popular books, movies, etc on
community -- Many thanks to the list readers who responded with
suggestions. We used most of them.

The bad news is that the book is expensive. 500+ USD -- which means that
effectively only libraries and Microsoft employees can afford it!

I have been trying to get Sage to publish a revised version of our 49
internet/community articles as a separate book, but they haven't agreed
now. Perhaps after they do their library sales, we will have better luck.
Of course, we are a fast moving field, and I'd face the task of editing 49
articles again, but 45/49 were a joy to work with -- thanks to all of you.

 Barry

  wellman at chass.utoronto.ca   http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman