[Air-l] participating in internet governance

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Thu Apr 10 16:00:57 PDT 2003

yes, i can see that some engineering knowledge is important to some
discussions, but for isoc and some parts of ietf, it isn't necessary at
all, and if you are interested, the more you participate the more you
learn.

but take for instance the Intellectual Property Rights working group of
the ietf
  http://news.com.com/2100-1013-996351.html?tag=fd_top

lets just wonder what might happen if various internet standards were
to be privatized... what would this mean for the digital divide?  what
would it mean for internationalization of the internet?  I have my
theories, but what if members of air-l were able to join the ietf-ipr
and provide good evidence that this line is highly problematic, which
several people have, including myself, but were summarily voted
against.  What would happen if enough people took the evidence and said
'if the internet is to be for everyone, as isoc says, then given what
we know, you should not allow for the privatization of standards'?  and
if they voted then, maybe it would go the other way....  maybe....

but there are always a few committees where the social scientist,
legal, and humanities and everyone else have an interest if nothing
else than as a member of the public.