[Air-l] Encyclopedia of Community

Anne Beaulieu Anne.Beaulieu at niwi.knaw.nl
Thu Apr 3 22:27:35 PST 2003

How lovely, in a pomo-cyber-medieval sort of way, to hear such curses 'spoken out' via a list! All the more because one could also think that editors who don't factor in attrition and publishers who calculate the costs of volumes in this way are also victims of curses. Of course, we all understand that Toronto is in the grip of virus hysteria.

wishing you strength to bear this.

Anne

Dr Anne Beaulieu
Networked research and digital information
KNAW-Netherlands Royal Academy of Arts and Science
Joan Muyskenweg 25
Postbus 95110
1090 HC Amsterdam
The Netherlands
tel: (31)(20)462-8739
fax: (31(20)665-8013
http://www.niwi.knaw.nl/nerdi/

>>> wellman at chass.utoronto.ca 04/03/03 10:14pm >>>
Just to clarify Monica Murero's Encyclopedia posting:

It is the Encyclopedia of Communty, to be published by Sage this June. It
contains 49 articles about the internet (et al) and community, including a
very nice one in which Monica is the lead author. I edited all of them

(And a pox on the 2 readers of this list who defaulted on their articles
at the very end, putting tremendous stress on me and the 2 wonderful
people who jumped in as replacement authors -- they're also readers of
this list.)

Howevever, the 49 articles are only 1/8 of the entire Encyclopedia. It's
in 4 volumes. It also has 650 leads to popular books, movies, etc on
community -- Many thanks to the list readers who responded with
suggestions. We used most of them.

The bad news is that the book is expensive. 500+ USD -- which means that
effectively only libraries and Microsoft employees can afford it!

I have been trying to get Sage to publish a revised version of our 49
internet/community articles as a separate book, but they haven't agreed
now. Perhaps after they do their library sales, we will have better luck.
Of course, we are a fast moving field, and I'd face the task of editing 49
articles again, but 45/49 were a joy to work with -- thanks to all of you.

Barry

  wellman at chass.utoronto.ca   http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman