[Air-l] policy steps database

John Daly dalyj at erols.com
Wed Apr 30 14:44:44 PDT 2003

Ildiko Kaposi wrote:

> I'm trying to find a database, or at least a good collection of examples
of the practical policy steps that were aimed at increasing internet
penetration (access, use) worldwide. I would be interested in both
successful and unsuccessful initiatives, at the levels of infrastructure,
training/education, and content. So far, I found bits and pieces scattered
over dozens of sites. I wonder if anyone knows about a source where these
would be collected?

The Leland Initiative
http://www.usaid.gov/leland/

identified several policies that it would consider critical to the extension
of the Internet, including the existance of an international portal open to
private ISPs, Cost Based pricing, and some degree of openness for content. I
did a study some time ago showing that African countries accepted by Leland
on the basis of these policies did have more Internet connectivity:

http://www.cidcm.umd.edu/library/papers/jdaly/leland.htm

I love the map of ICT policies in Africa:

http://www.uneca.org/disd/nici_status.htm

You might look at NICI

http://www.uneca.org/aisi/nici/country_profiles/NICI%20in%20Africa.htm

Here are a couple of good African Information Society Initiative resources:

Towards an Information Society in Africa: The Case for National Policies
http://www.uneca.org/aisi/docs/AISIBriefingPaperNo1.PDF

Status of Information and Communication Technologies in Africa: the changing
regulatory environment
http://www.uneca.org/aisi/nici/Documents/status_of_information_and_commun.ht