[Air-l] Media convergences

Jesper Tække jespert at it-c.dk
Sat Apr 19 15:27:17 PDT 2003

Dear Trancy,

Niels Brügger writes in footnote 18 in “Theoretical Reflexions on Media
and Media History” (in Media History: Theories, Methods, Analysis. N.
Brügger & S. Kolstrup, eds. Aarhus University Press, Århus 2002):

The idea of reconfiguration — that co-existing media affect each other —
is not new. A genealogy of this concept should, at least, include the
following: 1) Marshall McLuhan, using terms like 'interplay', 'reshape'
and 'reconfigure' (McLuhan 1987(1964), 26, 52, 154, etc.); 2) Neil
Postman, talking about 'resonance'(Postman 1985, 18, 41, etc.); 3) Joshua
Meyrowitz using the expression 'effect loops' (Meyrowitz 1985, 173-83); 4)
Régis Debray, talking about 're-inscribing' and 'reactivation' (cf. Debray
1996(1994), 17, 35, etc.); 5) Jay D. Bolter using the expression
'remediation' (cf. Bolter & Grusin 1999, 3-84); and 6) Roger Fidler for
whom the key concept is 'mediamorphosis' (cf. Fidler 1997, 22-29).

Bolter, Jay David & Richard Grusin 1999. Remediation: Understanding
New Media. Cambridge, Mass.: The MIT Press.

Debray, Régis 1996(1994). Media Manifestos: On the Technological
Transmission of Cultural forms. London: Verso.

Fidler, Roger 1997. Mediamorphosis: Understanding New Media.
Thousand Oaks, California: Pine Forge Press.

Meyrowitz, Joshua 1985. No Sense of Place: The Impact of
Electronic Media on Social Behavior. New York: Oxford U.P.

McLuhan, Marshall 1987(1964). Understanding Media: The Extensions
of Man. London: Ark Paperbacks.

Postman, Neil 1985. Amusing Ourselves to Death: Public Discourse in
the Age of Show Business. New York: Viking.

Regards
--
Jesper Tække
MA. Ph.D.-Student