[Air-l] summary of responses to digivide and international perspectives inquiry

Ulla Bunz bunz at scils.rutgers.edu
Mon Aug 25 08:25:54 PDT 2003

Recently I asked for help in finishing my syllabus. I indicated an
interest in articles on the digital divide and international
perspectives on how the web has changed other cultures in various ways.

Thanks to the many people who emailed links, references, and papers!

Below is a list of what I have received.

Ulla

http://www.aarp.org/olderwiserwired/Articles/a2003-07-18-olderadultsonli
ne.html
http://www.stanford.edu/group/siqss/itandsociety/v01i04.html
http://www.pewinternet.org/reports/toc.asp?Report=88
http://chronicle.com/weekly/v48/i41/41a03401.htm
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/dn/index.html
http://www.gapresearch.org/
http://www.routledge-ny.com/books.cfm?isbn=0415315034&CFID=1030848&CFTOK
EN=88801308
http://www.digitalcutuplounge.com/newsite/jvs_papers/netfxinchina.htm

Four articles Fay Sudweeks and Charles Ess collected for the special
issue of JCMC (vol. 8, no. 2) on CMC in the Middle East,
http://www.ascusc.org/jcmc/vol8/issue2/

Dance, F. E. X. (2003). The digital divide. In L. Strate, R. Jacobson, &
S. B. Gibson (Eds.), Communication and cyberspace: Social interaction in
an electronic environment (2nd ed.) (pp. 171-182). Cresskill, NJ:
Hampton Press. [note: this chapter is new to the second edition]

Journal of International Development 14(1). Special issue on ICTs and
International Development

New York Times
April 23, 2000 WHEN VILLAGES GO GLOBAL
How a Byte of Knowledge Can Be Dangerous, Too
By SIMON ROMERO

A recent article published in the Austrian Journal "Medien Journal" by
Ursula Maier-Rabler

3 articles dealing with certain aspects of the Internet in South Africa
by Herman Wasserman

"Effective Use: A Community Informatics Strategy Beyond the Digital
Divide"  by Michael Gurstein

Lim, M. (2002), 'CyberCivic Space in Indonesia: From Panopticon to
Pandemonium?', International Development and Planning Review (Third
World Planning Review), Vol. 24 No. 4,  pp. 383-400, ISSN: 1474-6743.

Lim, M. (October 2003, forthcoming), 'From War-net to Net-War: The
Internet and Resistance Identities in Indonesia', The International
Information & Library Review, Elsevier Publisher, ISSN: 1057-2317

Lim, M. (October 2003, forthcoming), 'The Internet, Social Network and
Reform in Indonesia' in N. Couldry and J. Curran (Eds.), Contesting
Media Power: Towards a Global Comparative Perspective, Rowan &
Littlefield, pp. 273-288.

Ulla Bunz
Assistant Professor
Department of Communication