[Air-l] digital divide and non-US perspective on web readings

Ulla Bunz bunz at scils.rutgers.edu
Thu Aug 21 07:10:52 PDT 2003

I am requesting help to finish my syllabus.

I'm looking for two or three readings (total, not each) on two topics:

1) digital divide (preferably a reading that does NOT focus on race, and
something that is recent)

2) a non-US perspective on how the web has/is changing our lives, the
way we communicate, etc. The class is called "Communication and Social
Change" and too much of what we're doing is US-focused, so I want to
include a different perspective.

I'm looking for short articles/reports (not full blown journal articles)
and even popular press articles, preferably available online. The
readings are used as discussion stimulants, so they can be controversial
(like the recent posting to this list how you can now divorce via SMS in
Malaysia).

Though general pointers are welcome, due to time pressures I would much
appreciate being directed to specific articles rather than entire
websites.

If you prefer, reply directly to bunz at scils.rutgers.edu. Thanks so much!

Ulla

Ulla Bunz