[Air-l] Electronic Media in 21st Century Social Movements

andrew.herman at comcast.net andrew.herman at comcast.net
Mon Aug 11 07:26:03 PDT 2003

Dear Chuck:

There have been two books published in the last year or so that are a good
place to start: 1)Future Active: Media Activism and the Internet by Graham
Meikle (Routledge, 2002)and Cyberactivism: Online Activism in Theory and
Practice edited by Martha McCaughey and Michael Ayers (Routledge, 2003). Both
cover the most well-known articulations of the Internet as medium of
communication and mobilization with social movements on the RL side of the
screen (i.e. anti-globalization, Zapatistas).  I like the former book because
it also address the WWW itself as a terrain for social movements with its own
distinct identities, strategies, and tactics (i.e. Hactivism and Electronic
Civil Disobedience). And since you asked for observations I will offer one:  it
is very important to take an instrumental stance towards the relationship
between "new media" and social movements, that is, media as something that
either affects social movements from the outside or, conversely, new media as
tool that social movements utilize to achieve this or that goal or objective.
New media, like all media, can be constitutive of the very shape, identity and
practices of social movements. I think the anti-globalization movement is very
good example of the constuitive role of new media.

A couple of good web sites that will lead you to other examples are: 1) Citizen
Lab at http://www.citizinlab.org.  Citizen Lab "is an interdisciplinary
laboratory based at the Munk Centre for International Studies at the University
of Toronto, Canada focusing on advanced research and development at the
intersection of digital media and world civic politics" that is headed by Prof.
Ron Deibert (you can eben see Prof. Deibert eat his lunch via web cam); 2)The
Interactivist Info Exchange at http://slash.autonomedia.org.  Thef ormer,
obviosuly, has a scholarly bent and the latter an activist one but neither is
exclusively one or the other.

I am sure that others on the list will have many other suggestions as well.
Good luck.

Andrew Herman