[Air-l] A Fight for Free Access To Medical Research

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Thu Aug 7 05:24:17 PDT 2003

i'm also interested in learning more about what people have in mind.
I've been working on free access systems for some time, and it ends up,
as it usually does, that to get anything really going you need a
critical mass, which usually comes together around an issue.  for
medical researchers, the issue was the combined problem that a single
journal can cost well over 10k/year, which brought about pub-med, which
was government sponsored, but funding was killed, leaving people which
caused the opening of pub-med.   in the social sciences and economics
the problems were different, but certain groups congealed because of
the period of time it takes to review/publish, editorial control not
publishing accepted subdisciplines, and the like, but to me it seems a
less cohesive movement than medicine has...