[Air-l] Late adolescents and dating on the Internet

Michele White mwhite at wellesley.edu
Wed Dec 3 10:36:52 PST 2003

Hello,

My article, "On the Internet, Everybody Worries that You're a Dog: The
Gender Expectations and Beauty Ideals of Online Personals and Text-Based
Chat" presents a general consideration of Internet dating sites that is
targeted at the undergraduate reader. I do a close analysis, indicate how
Yahoo's dating/personals site and other Internet settings encourage
traditional conceptions of the body, and introduce feminist methods that
can be used to analyze these problems. I have more recent research on the
issue of Internet representations but this article may be of interest to
you because it specifically addresses Internet dating sites.

The anthology was just released and the full citation is:

White, Michele. "On the Internet, Everybody Worries that You're a Dog: The
Gender Expectations and Beauty Ideals of Online Personals and Text-Based
Chat." Readings in Gender Communication, eds. Mary Rose Williams and Phil
Backlund, Wadsworth, 2003.

All my best,
Michele