[Air-l] Norwegian guidelines for online research available in English

Charles Ess @ ITU chess at itu.dk
Fri Dec 5 07:30:33 PST 2003

Dear AoIR-ists:

As you may know, the guidelines originally published in 2001 by the National
Committee for Research Ethics in the Social sciences and the Humanities
(NESH), Norway, played a significant role in the discussion and development
of the AoIR guidelines for online research.

More recently (September 24, 2003), NESH developed and published (in
Norwegian, of course) a set of guidelines specifically oriented to internet
research, the "Forskningsetiske retningslinjer for internettforskning" -
available at
http://www.etikkom.no/retningslinjer/internett

I'm pleased to say that NESH has approved an English translation of the
guidelines undertaken by Line Gulløv Lundh and me. (Believe me, Ms. Lundh -
a student working with ethics committee member Klaus Bruhn Jensen at
Copenhagen University- did the majority of the work!)

I commend the new guidelines to your attention, not only for their own sake
(to my knowledge, they are the only ones explicitly developed by a national
authority for online research - please correct me if I'm wrong!) - but also
for what they suggest regarding the range of views and approaches on online
ethics:

http://www.etikkom.no/Engelsk/Publications/internet03

Comments and suggestions welcome!

Cheers and all best wishes,
Charles Ess
Visiting Professor (fall, '03)
Department of Digital Aesthetics and Communication (DIAC)
The IT University of Copenhagen
Glentevej 67
DK-2400 Copenhagen NV
Telephone: +45 38 16 89 63
       Mobile: +45 22 46 06 35
   Fascimile: +45 38 16 88 99

Distinguished Research Professor, Interdisciplinary Studies
Drury University
900 N. Benton Ave.
Springfield, MO  65802  USA
voice: 417-873-7230
fax: 417-873-7435
homepage: <www.drury.edu/ess/ess.html>

Co-chair, CATaC '04: <it.murdoch.edu.au/catac>