[Air-l] is this internet studies?

Lee Salter l.salter at londonmet.ac.uk
Mon Dec 22 01:25:05 PST 2003

Well, yes... almost. You seem to be saying that the commercial Internet
has turned into the military Internet, whereas in fact it was
vice-versa. Compare, for example, RFC 3271 with RFC 1087. We see a clear
agenda to "roll out" the Internet, which was at least influenced by the
need to cheapen such technologies by reducing the unit-cost. This only
really makes sense when one is aware that the ultimate control of the
Internet shifted from the Department of Defense to the Department of
Commerce in the 1990s - which the movement from IANA to ICANN seems to
illustrate (see also the /Image Online Design v. IANA, et al./ case). I
wouldn't, therefore, agree that the Internet has moved from .com to
.mil, but vice versa, with the proviso that .com is far from
antithetical to .mil. This shouldn't, however, surprise us. Michael
Kirdon (Permanent Arms Economy) and C Wright Mills (The Power Elite) are
two of many examples of writers who inform us that capitalism is on a
permanent war footing - despite some obvious surface difficulties, war
is good for the economy. Brian Winston (Media, Technology, and Society)
has applied this sort of dynamic to media technologies very well (we
should of course remember the role of war in the car, aeroplane, radio,
food technologies... etc.).