[Air-l] is this internet studies? (fwd)

david silver dsilver at u.washington.edu
Mon Dec 22 10:45:14 PST 2003

thank you for your post Lee.

i am aware that the net has always been .mil, beginning with its origins
with ARPANET.  but what i am refering to is a) the very recent history of
the net and digital technologies and b) developments that have taken place
within this recent history within the US.

i would, however, question this line:

> despite some obvious surface difficulties, war is good for the economy.

and, more to the point of my original post, is war good for academia?

as the field of internet studies works towards academic legitimacy,
especially within the US, what does it mean when this process of
legitimacy takes place within a national economy run by war, threats of
terrorism, and homeland security.  put another way, where will the money
for US-based academic internet studies come from and should this be
something we consider as the field matures?

david