[Air-l] Re: is this internet studies?

salterl l.salter at unl.ac.uk
Wed Dec 24 05:21:30 PST 2003

I am glad to have had this opportunity to discuss the implications of military
funding with you guys - we have heard a good number of interesting arguments
and points. I think also, as a result of good old-fashioned dialectical
reasoning, we have exposed some contradictions. Obviously the war/peace
contradiction is an interesting one, and some promising ideas have been
raised. However, the greatest contradiction exposed here relates to the form
of a discussion that evokes "our" (homeland/military.security etc). The
Internet is an international medium, and as far as I am aware AoIR is also
international. Therefore, "our" military and "your" military may well have
profoundly different understandings of whose security matters. Indeed, the
wars servce "us(s)", whereas peace is really "ours" all. Perhaps then, in
addressing both the hardly hidden nationalism of Internet studies and that of
war, we ought to promote the role of the UN in securing peace, and governing
the Internet, as war proposed at the recent WSIS. Perhaps this is a naive view
of the UN, but nevertheless, it is a good starting point.