[Air-l] how to measure participation rates

Kylie Veale kylie at veale.com.au
Wed Dec 3 14:12:54 PST 2003

Katerina,

If you’re looking at USENET newsgroups, you might want to take a look at
the social accounting search engine “NetScan” at
http://netscan.research.microsoft.com.

I successfully used the muscle of their automated newsgroup
participation statistics for a recent study I performed; “Discussing Our
Family Trees: Finding Community-Based Communication in Genealogical
Newsgroups”.  I used the Common Ground Model of Whittaker, Terveen,
Hill, and Cherny (1998), and the Online Community (OC) Model of
Scoberth, Preece, and Heinzl (2003), to test for online community – the
NetScan database statistics worked fabulously well (though I did also
use some manually collated stats for some specific OC tests).

I studied four years of data for the newsgroup in my study, which had
over 123,000 posts during that period.

Regards

Kylie Veale  |  Brisbane, Australia
GradDipInvEnv, MInetStds [2003]