[Air-l] gini coefficients for measuring participation?

Charles Hendricksen veritas at u.washington.edu
Wed Dec 3 14:24:51 PST 2003

This is a very interesting way to operationalize the measurement of
participation.  In my work (asynchronous collaboration by document
annotation) I have operationalized participation as total word count (4
or more letters).  That is easy for me because I capture the word count
in a log file that also contains the participant's identification.

I can see the need to develop a normalizing coefficient that would
consider the relative prolixity of each participant.  Some participants
post huge adjectival annotations, others many small and terse messages.
  Message counts are thus pretty meaningless.  The measurement of
quality is of course in great need of research.