[Air-l] CFP: Online personals workshop at CHI 2004

Andrew T. Fiore atf at media.mit.edu
Sun Dec 7 11:32:16 PST 2003

We're happy to announce a workshop about online personals for CHI 2004.
  The deadline for submitting position papers is 12 January 2004.  We
hope to see you in Vienna!

Please feel free to forward this announcement as widely as you would
like.

Thank you!

Andrew Fiore
Jeana Frost
Judith Donath

MIT Media Lab

==========

Online Personals:
"Scientists, designers seek same for good conversation"

CHI 2004 Workshop: Call for Participation
Vienna, Austria
Monday 26 April 2004

Organizers:
   Andrew T. Fiore
   Jeana H. Frost
   Judith S. Donath

Contact:
    <chi-personals at media.mit.edu>

On the Web:
    http://smg.media.mit.edu/personals/chi2004/

::: ABOUT THE WORKSHOP

Online personal advertisements have shed their stereotype as
matchmakers for the awkward to claim a prominent role in the social
lives of millions of users. This one-day workshop will bring together
social scientists and designers to discuss:

1. How people are behaving in online personals systems and how best to
study this behavior.

2. How different personals systems handle self-expression, searching,
matching, and communicating.

3. How the design of personals systems interacts with individual and
cultural constructs of relationships and attraction.

4. New methods, metaphors, design paradigms, and gadgets for finding
and communicating with dating partners.

::: HOW TO APPLY

To apply for the workshop, simply submit a 2- to 4-page position paper.
We will consider a variety of work related to online personals, as
appropriate to your discipline, as long as it reflects your experience
with or consideration of the topics above. Some suggestions:

* Quantitative study of behavior on a personals system

* Novel designs for better personals systems (especially radical
departures from the norm)

* Review of the literature on attraction and its application to online
dating

* Interviews (or surveys) with users of online personals systems

* Experiment involving construction and perception of identity in
personals ads

We will select participants from diverse backgrounds based on the
relevance and originality of their position papers.

Please email your paper to chi-personals at media.mit.edu by 12 January
2004. We will notify you of acceptance by 23 February 2004.

Limited to 15 participants.