[Air-l] how to measure participation rates

Carlo Hagemann c.hagemann at maw.kun.nl
Tue Dec 2 11:06:16 PST 2003

Hi Katerina,

I did a thing like that semi-manual. A bit boring maybe, but not
impossible and I am definitely not a programmer.
Just like Nancy did, I used one text file. I made it so that every
message was on a single line, with the AUTHOR (or so) tag in front.
I deleted everything that was not the author tag, and transferred the
result of this to MS Excel.
In Excel I sorted, and then did some counting. I even computed a Lorenz
Curve.

If you want to know more about how I did this, I can send you the
Excel-file.
It takes some hours work to figure it all out (which I have done for you
now ;-) ), but once you have done that, you can easily apply it to all
the discussions you want.

Kind regards,

Carlo Hagemann