[Air-l] Re: is this internet studies?

halavais at buffalo.edu halavais at buffalo.edu
Tue Dec 23 14:58:45 PST 2003

A further difficulty may be in determining the boundaries of such a
gesture, at least to a degree such that the preponderance of
researchers could agree upon it. For example, a rejection of funding
directly from the military would likely be a relatively easy pill to
swallow, at least for some. While I am sure that there are those on
the list who receive funding from, say, the US Navy or from DARPA,
they make up a fairly small minority.

But this is only the most direct connection. Do we also reject funding
related to "defending our homeland," for example? For those with NIH
or NSF funding, it would have been hard not to notice the change in
funding priorities over the last two years. Do we reject industry-
sponsored research from companies that profit during war and its
aftermath? There are a number of sources remaining for funded research
beyond these two, but this list becomes increasingly attenuated when
you eliminate funding that is in any way related to military action.

Finally, I think it is worth asking whether "the military" is really
responsible for wars. Of course, they have the greatest proximate
responsibility, but it may very well be that other sources of funding
provide the impetus for such wars. I certainly do not think all wars
are fought over profits, but most are fought over resources. In that
regard, at least, I think Bucky Fuller had the right idea: focus on
distribution and resource allocation, and you may find the leverage
needed for peace. Indeed, the most effective way of providing for
peace, rather than being more conscientious consumers of research
funding, may be making the causes of war a focus of our research.

With hopes for a peaceful new year,

Alex