[Air-l] postmodern ethnography

Denise Carter denisecarter at denisecarter.net
Thu Feb 13 00:48:13 PST 2003

thanks for all the replies so far

i am 'writing up' my methodology chapter at the moment and trying to order
my thoughts about ethnography, and using the 'text' or 'dialogue' of my
informants to write an authoritative ethnographic narrative. I was intrigued
by Schaap's use of the term 'postmodern ethnography', and his use of Tyler's
distinctions that dialogue presented in text is not dialogue, consequently,
that any representation of that dialogue doesn't even (re)present a prior
reality or truth.

denise

(i have looked at Auge, Latour and Marcus among others)