[Air-l] terrorwar and the internet

david silver dsilver at u.washington.edu
Tue Feb 18 17:36:48 PST 2003

Gina,

> We're doing a follow-up email survey to tease out many of the finer
> points of political participation and Internet use, and as we get
> articles out, I'll be sure to keep you all posted.

i for one would love to hear more about the research project.  i hope my
email didn't smell of technological determinism; that wasn't my intention.

perhaps it's because i'm here in wired seattle, but saturday's peace march
had all kinds of cybertech-trimmings, many of which i mentioned in the
last post.

that said, i'd be curious to hear how your survey teases out less obvious
intersections between the net and the global peace movement.  i'm thinking
of folks who have used the net to gain knowledge not contained within
mainstream media and the ways in which that knowledge may have influenced
their participation in the march.  ("ooh, i didn't hear about this on
CNN, maybe i'll make my way down to the march to get a better idea of
what's going on?") i'm thinking about how a number of folks, especially
in the US, have used the net to discover that despite what the polls or
media say, there is a strong and global peace movement growing and
perhaps now's the time to join.  ("wow, campus and town squares are
relatively quiet but things are buzzing online ... maybe i have more
allies than i thought?") and i'm thinking about the hyperactive activity
on sites like indymedia.org where folks extend their local marches into
the global sphere, perhaps a necessary step if a global movement will
survive.  in other words, i'm interested in these kinds of scenerios and
how they fit into your survey.  david