[Air-l] the Internet and global political action - TURKEY

robert m. tynes rtynes at u.washington.edu
Thu Feb 20 12:36:10 PST 2003

This is a forward off of an anti-war pro-peace listserv:

Turkey is currently in hot and heavy negotiations with the US
Administration over the use of Turkish territory for a "northern front"
against Iraq. Please contact them and ask them to refuse the use of their
territory for a war against Iraq.  (ACTION REQUESTED)

Please contact Turkish embassies and consulates in your vicinity by
sending delegations, fax and e-mail messages AND send faxes and e-
mail messages to officials in Ankara.

Below is a sample message. Feel free to send it as is or, better
still, to add your own comments.  The contacts/addresses for your
messages and/or delegations are below. In solidarity, Peace
Initiative of Turkey

We will appreciate it if you forward a copy of your messages to us
at the following address: peaceturkey at yahoo.com

(Suggested mode of address) His Excellency ...
Ambassador of the Republic of Turkey or His Excellency Abdullah Gul,

Prime Minister Your Excellency,

I believe that the Turkish government is faced with a historic
mission. If it votes to join the US axis of war against Iraq, it
will bear the responsibility of the death and suffering of thousands
of people in Iraq as well as the suffering of its own people in
Turkey. On the other hand, if it joins the international call for
peace, it has the chance of changing the climate, not only in Iraq,
but in the region as a whole in favor of peace. This will relieve
some of the pressure on the Palestinian people whose suffering has
reached devastating dimensions. Turkey should seize this opportunity
and undertake this strategic and historic role.

The Turkish public and the international public have voiced an
overwhelming opposition to the calls for war. We ask that the
Turkish government respond not to the threats of the United States
government, but to the strong dedication of its citizens and the
citizens of the world to peace by saying "NO" to war. Please be
assured of the support of the international consensus for peace
behind your efforts to stop this outrageous aggression.  The
worldwide escalation of militarization is alarming. We do not want
to ever relive the violent tragedies of the past century.

The 21st century should be one where international problems are
resolved through non-violent methods, through international
mechanisms of law and solidarity. Saying "NO" to war in Iraq shall
be a significant step in this direction. We ask Turkey to seize this
historic mission and join the international campaign for peace. Such
is our wish and expectation from Turkey.

With my best regards, ........

Prime Minister Abdullah Gul Fax: +90 (312) 417 0476
(Note: faxes are having greater impact according to Turkish Peace
Initiative leaders)
e-mail: abdullah.gul at basbakanlik.gov.tr

Deputy Prime Minister Ertugrul Yalcinbayir fax: +90 (312) 419-5443
e-mail: ertugrul.yalcinbayir at basbakanlik.gov.tr

Speaker of Government Abdullatif Sener
e-mail: abdullatif.sener at basbakanlik.gov.tr

President of State Ahmet Necdet Sezer fax: +90.312 427 13 30
e-mail: cumhurbaskanligi at tccb.gov.tr

Speaker of Parliament Bulent Arinc: His e-mail does not respond.
Please send a fax him at +90 (212) 420-5165

Foreign Affairs Commission Fax: 90.312 420-5336
e-mail: disiskom at tbmm.gov.tr

National Defense Commission Fax: +90.312 420 5328
e-mail: savkom at tbmm.gov.tr

Human Rights Commission Fax: +90. 312 420 5394
e-mail: inshkkom at tbmm.gov.tr

Minister of Foreign Affairs Yasar Yakis Fax: +90.312 287 88 11

Turkeys UN email address:
Phone ( 1-212) 949 01 50-51-52-53- 949 01 57
Fax ( 1-212) 949 00 86 - 949 09 17
E-mail: turkuno at aol.com

Turkeys Embassy in Washington:
Phone: (202) 612-6700
Fax: (202) 612-6744
E-mail: info at turkey.org

Turkeys consulate in Texas:
Phone: (713) 622-5849
Fax: (713) 623-6639
E-mail: turcon at ix.netcom.com

Turkeys consulate in LA:
Phone: (323) 937-0118
Fax: (323) 932-0061
E-mail: turkcgla at pacbell.net

Turkeys consulate in NYC:
Phone: (212) 949-0160 (4)
Fax: (212) 983-1293
E-mail: tcbkny at broadviewnet.net

Turkeys consulate in Chicago:
Phone: (312) 263-0644 ext 28
Fax: (312) 263-1499
E-mail: chicago at trconsulate.org

Turkeys mission to the EU:
E-mail: turkdelegeu at euronet.be

Turkeys mission to NATO:
E-mail: natodt at euronet.be

Turkish Newspapers with email addresses:
( from: http://www.byegm.gov.tr/TURKBASINI/gazete-ingilizce.htm )
Milli Gazete: E-mail: milli at milligazete.com.tr
Milliyet: E-mail: okur at milliyet.com.tr
Posta: E-mail: posta at simge.com.tr