[Air-l] Is this What the Air List Is For????

Steve Jones sjones at uic.edu
Thu Feb 20 15:30:24 PST 2003

Concerning the question of appropriateness, when AoIR got its start
(not so many years ago) and air-l ran on my little server my goal was
to let the community fend for itself concerning appropriateness of
postings, and I believe the AoIR executive committee has taken a
similarly laissez-faire approach (with one exception when we had to
remove a person from the list). My strong preference is to continue
to let the community set its standards as it goes.

Concerning the issue of air-l being "essentially a social science
list," in my (emphatic) opinion it is most certainly not that. It is
a list to which are subscribed social scientists, artists, musicians,
lawyers, doctors, humanities scholars, journalists, marketing
professionals, academics of all stripes (undergraduate students
through to emeritus faculty), all of whom (I think) are trying to
make sense of what the internet does and what we (insert your
definition of "we" here) do with it.

In short, I've learned something from virtually every posting to
air-l (excluding perhaps the aforementioned incident requiring
removal of a subscriber, but even then I think I learned some things).

Thanks,
Sj